How to Recover Compensation from an Oil Well Blowout Accident
Oil well blowout injuries are often life-changing. It is not unusual for oil well operators and other gas or oil employees to suffer from traumatic brain injuries, third-degree burns, loss of limbs, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and other debilitating injuries.
No matter what type of injury you have been diagnosed with, if it has had a significant impact on your life and is expected to for the foreseeable future, recovering maximum compensation will be in your best interests. Fortunately, you may access the compensation you need to get through these difficult times in many ways.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Those who work on or near oil rigs may have the right to workers’ compensation benefits when involved in an on-the-job accident such as an oil well blowout. Workers’ compensation benefits are not dependent on how many hours you work each week or how long you have been working with the company.
What matters is that your injuries occur during a work-related event. If your workers’ comp claim is approved, you can receive benefits shortly after. Some of the different types of benefits you could be awarded include:
- Disability benefits amounting to approximately 2/3 of your average weekly salary
- Total coverage of your medical expenses, including transportation costs, co-pays, and other out-of-pocket expenses
- Vocational rehabilitation benefits if your injuries will prevent you from continuing to work in the gas or oil industry
- Death benefits for the surviving family members of oil and gas workers who pass away from fatal oil well blowout injuries
Third-Party Liability Claims
Workers’ compensation benefits are available no matter who is responsible for causing the oil well blowout. However, since these benefits are often insufficient, pursuing a third-party liability claim may be your best opportunity to fully recover from your damages.
By filing a civil lawsuit against those responsible for causing your injuries, you will not be restricted by the limitations of your workers’ compensation benefits. Examples of damages that could be recovered through your third-party liability lawsuit include the following:
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium, including intimate spousal relations
- Diminished earning capacity
- Loss of employee benefits, including holiday pay, vacation time, salary increases, health insurance, or employer retirement savings contributions
- Any medical expenses the insurance company refuses to cover
- Personal property damages
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Physical pain and suffering
- Skin scarring and disfiguring injuries
Contact an Oil Well Blowout Accident Attorney Today
Oil well blowout accidents happen. But when the operator or other liable party’s negligence is the cause, you have the right to hold them accountable. Fight for full recovery of your damages.
Maximize your compensation with help from our reputable oil well blowout accident lawyers in Odessa, TX at Kemmy Law Firm. When you are ready to take action, fill out our quick contact form or call our office at Contact us today by calling (432) 400-0000 to schedule your free consultation today.